[Wolves] I just read this....

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 12:20:25 BST 2006

On 01/06/06, Simon Morris <simon.morris at cmtww.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 09:33 +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:
>
> > I've used SuSE for a number of years now however just recently I've
> > really
> > started to get the hump with it, simple stuff like installing
> > gnomemeeting
> > YAST: "lib.tuff-luck-sucker.so is not available installation cannot
> > continue". SuSE 10.1 is a complete disaster (and they have the cheek
> > to sell
> > it!) I wont have it in the house.
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> I've been using SUSE 10.1 for a week or so and I haven't had any major
> disagreements with it so far, although I do think my level of
> expectations with Linux were dropped somewhat when I moved from Debian
> to SUSE (10.0 at the time)
>
> In my opinion the main issue is not with the way that RPM works but the
> amount of officially available packages. There weren't many occasions on
> Debian that I had to compile software or go to 3rd party debs to get
> software I wanted. On SUSE you *have* to go to Packman or other 3rd
> party RPM providers to get a decent system going.
>
> I'd be interested to know exactly why you have banished 10.1 to the
> garden shed. Why is 10.1 a "complete disaster" - it is a strong term to
> use.
>

> Thanks
>
> ~sm

Simon.  Are you enrolled on the official SuSE mailing list?  There are
about 99% of long term hardcore SuSE users on there who are literally
tearing their hair out because SuSE 10.1 is utter pants.  These are
guys who way more experience than I do in using Linux and they are all
reverting back to SuSE 10.  Now, I cannot say anything from a personal
point of view because I haven't tried 10.1 myself.  I've waited (I
have suggested this waiting period to others) to see what
transpires... I'm so glad I have.  There are a lot of problems  with
10.1  It seems to be SuSE 9.2 all over again (that was rubbish and I
have the boxed set together with the 90 day support package, long run
out of course) so I shall wait until 10.2 or even 11

No doubt there will be a number of people who have no problems at all,
that's great for them but not for the majority :-(

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire