[Wolves] I just read this....

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 13:30:11 BST 2006

--- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:

> I've used SuSE for a number of years now however
> just recently I've really
> started to get the hump with it, simple stuff like
> installing gnomemeeting
> YAST: "lib.tuff-luck-sucker.so is not available
> installation cannot
> continue". SuSE 10.1 is a complete disaster (and
> they have the cheek to sell
> it!) I wont have it in the house.

At the risk of a holy war, I'm going to pose a
question and profess the world according to Adam. I
know all you FC/SuSE users are bored of hearing about
Ubuntu, but I wonder, why are you still using SuSE?

Background:

I started out on Mandrake about 5 and half years ago
and I spent 2 years breaking it and getting
frustrated. I ran RH 7.1 to 9 I think for a while too
which I found quite nice. Then I moved on to Debian
and that is where I really started to pick up speed
and actually learn stuff.

I understand that not everyone is like me, I guess a
lot of people just want a decent desktop OS that works
and doesn't require too much maintentance.

My problem with SuSE is that to me, it (along with
Mandriva and a few others) lost it's relevence with
Fedora Core and then with Ubuntu. SuSE is shallow in
packages and for a desktop OS thats a killer. The only
thing that SuSE has in my eyes is early access to the
vast wealth of software coming out of Novell (XGL,
iFolder etc) and they tend to ship new technologies
early. It also looks great (if you like KDE), but
doesn't Kubuntu?

I know we all have our own mindset and Ubuntu/Debian
fits the way I understand things as I've been using it
for quite some time now and, similarly if you've been
using SuSE for a long time it fits your brain, but
don't you miss the packages?

In all honesty, I feel in some ways the same about FC.
Despite what most people would think, pretty much
every machine at work is FC or Red Hat (I may look to
move new installs to Debian/Ubuntu or Centos) and I
have a FC4 desktop under my desk and it frustrates me.

So, I ask what (apart from support contracts, Simon!)
does SuSE offer that other distros don't? I don't want
a row or a 3 day debate about the miniutae of each
point. I want an up front "it does this".

Forgive me if this is asking for trouble, I don't get
what SuSE offers these days that isn't offered
elsewhere with far more packages.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk