[Wolves] I just read this....

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Thu Jun 1 13:54:56 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 13:30 +0100, Adam Sweet wrote:

> At the risk of a holy war, I'm going to pose a
> question and profess the world according to Adam. I
> know all you FC/SuSE users are bored of hearing about
> Ubuntu, but I wonder, why are you still using SuSE?

[snip]

> So, I ask what (apart from support contracts, Simon!)
> does SuSE offer that other distros don't? I don't want
> a row or a 3 day debate about the miniutae of each
> point. I want an up front "it does this".
>
> Forgive me if this is asking for trouble, I don't get
> what SuSE offers these days that isn't offered
> elsewhere with far more packages.

From my own personal point of view the reason I moved from Debian as my
distro-of-choice to SUSE was precisely the one reason you just suggested
I avoid :-). Support.

We were running Debian happily on a number of servers before we decided
to officially adopt a Linux strategy at which point it was decided we
couldn't go on with Debian based on that fact no-one would support us on
it. The typical usage of Linux would involve software provided by IBM or
another vendor and they just won't work with you unless you use an
"enterprise" (whatever that means to whoever you ask) system.

Having said that I agreed at the time, and having worked with Novell
Support on a few occasions it was the right choice.

So at this stage I switched to SUSE. Yes - I do miss the package
availability *a lot*. Before Ubuntu came along I would suggest that
people that are learning Linux should try Red Hat or SUSE (or Mandrake)
as a learning step before getting into Debian. I think that Debian
derived distros are the way ahead now.

Given the choice I would be running Debian on my laptop still :(

~sm