[Wolves] Question 1st, Rant 2nd

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 12:07:34 BST 2006

Hi All

Question.

Is there any issues if I do;

#sudo apt-get -dist-upgrade

For Dapper if Dapper is already installed? Or how do I tell if Dapper is
installed having done the vi trick on the Breezy apt/sources.list?

I cant remember if I upgraded the Breezy install on my IBM X20, I remember
setting it up ready and the sources.list relates to Dapper but I think I
shoved it in the cupboard as I knew it would take a while and I didn't have
the time.

Rant.

F$%&@ P$£@?& S%$£@ fsck, e2fsck oh yeah poxy LVM. So far I have spent 7 days
poncing around with three differant HDD's all reported bad sectors disk 1 was
a 40GB I got the data off and stuck a screw driver through it in temper disk2
20GB again bad sectors, I threw that one in the bin.

Disk3 (This one) bad sectors, can I run any checkers on it? can I bollocks,
the web and the forums all say "Oh just run fsck" get stuffed you lying pigs
that doesn't work especially with LVM.

I finally managed to find a post tucked away on a missleading subject that LVM
often says bad blocks and that fixing LVM is patchy at best.

So I stabbed the 40GB for nothing, ditched the 20GB for no good reason and now
face the option of trying to put an EXT3 on and taking another two sodding
days to get everything back.

(Of course all the drives could have bad sectors I suppose?)

Rant Over.

Regards
PeterC