[Wolves] PC suppliers

Daniel Jones djones9960 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 15:25:24 GMT 2006

On 16/03/06, Andy Smith <andy at lug.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 02:02:01PM +0000, Daniel Jones wrote:
> > The cheapest deal I could find on the dell site is:
> > http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_1100?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs#tabtop
> > Cost: £250 INC VAT + DEL
> >
> If you follow the above link then "customise and buy" the cheapest
> option on the right, knock the "support services" section down to
> 90-day collect and return, then you end up with a system for £222
> inc. VAT and delivery with the following specs:
>
> You don't appear to have included a monitor, whereas the Dell system
> comes with a 17" CRT.

My bad.  Maybe I should have checked the site a bit more carefully.
There is a direct equivalence between the system I linked to and the
system I priced up at dabs, though.  I kept them as much alike as I
possibly could.  The product I linked to /didn't/ have a monitor.

> The Dell deal also includes assembly and testing and a 90-day
> collect and return service covering the entire machine.  Yours will
> only have the usual mail order warranty, and will arrive in pieces.

That's the way I like it.  Built by my own fair hands, to my own fair spec.  :)

I don't quite get why the 'but you have to build it yourself' line is
such a big deal.  It takes me about 45 minutes to put a new system
together; I know any screwups which are made are going to be made by
me as well.

> The cheapest 17" CRT I could find on Dabs is £75, so the Dell
> product turns out cheaper before you consider the other things.

It's in a sale; £50 off from what I saw.

> Trying to beat Dell prices is not very easy; beating Dell quality
> and expandability is easier.
Yep.

--
Dan