[Wolves] PC suppliers

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Thu Mar 16 14:37:55 GMT 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 02:02:01PM +0000, Daniel Jones wrote:
> The cheapest deal I could find on the dell site is:
> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_1100?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs#tabtop
> Cost: £250 INC VAT + DEL

If you follow the above link then "customise and buy" the cheapest
option on the right, knock the "support services" section down to
90-day collect and return, then you end up with a system for £222
inc. VAT and delivery with the following specs:

> Equivalent(with dabs.com quicklink code):
> Case:  39MVWS   £24.98

Usual Dell Dimension case

> Celeron D 335:  3WKKWS  £54.30

Same.

> Mainboard 3WKKWS  £42.05

Who knows, with Dell.

> 256MB DDR 37JCWS  £13.86

Same.

> 52x IDE CD-ROM  36MXWS  £10.57

48x DVD/CDRW

> Floppy Disk:  2H30WS  £6.40

Well, it has a floppy drive, who cares what model?

> 40Gb HD:  3SFYWS  £26.95

80GB (probably a Maxtor)

> Scroll Mouse:  3H4ZWS  £2.56

Basic 2-button mouse

> Multimedia Keyboard:  3H4GWS   £4.05

"Dell Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard"

> Total cost:  £185.72 INC VAT  (plus delivery though; so add a tenner or so)

You don't appear to have included a monitor, whereas the Dell system
comes with a 17" CRT.

The Dell deal also includes assembly and testing and a 90-day
collect and return service covering the entire machine.  Yours will
only have the usual mail order warranty, and will arrive in pieces.

The cheapest 17" CRT I could find on Dabs is £75, so the Dell
product turns out cheaper before you consider the other things.

Trying to beat Dell prices is not very easy; beating Dell quality
and expandability is easier.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB