[Wolves] List

Shane M. Coughlan shane at shaneland.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 22:13:58 BST 2006

Simon Morris wrote:
> On 30/03/06, Shane M. Coughlan <shane at shaneland.co.uk> wrote:
>> PS: I just wrote an article on DRM...I'd really love your comments.
>> http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=14156&limit=no&threshold=-1
>
> It's a very interesting article - and like so many of the worlds
> serious problems at the moment it comes down to education. People need
> to be aware that their lack of awareness about their own digital
> rights means that they are letting themselves be exploited by major
> corporations.

Sighs.  I just wrote a reply to this, and my email client killed itself
as I tried to send.  I *hate* when that happens.

Simon, thanks so much for reading my article, and for taking the time to
reply.  I really appreciate that.

I agree with you that education is the key problem.  On both sides of
the debate regarding DRM we need a lot of education.  This problem is
one that spans political, legal and economic fields.  To address it
correctly will take a substantial consultation and discussion process.

I'm disappointed in companies that are trying to take advantage of
current ignorance over the implications of restricting digital access
with 'Trusted Computing' etc., because I believe these technological
implementations will potentially remove important freedoms with far
greater reach than playing an MP3 on a generic player.  We're looking at
a situation where companies want to legitimize their ability to control
individual's actions.  That would be a huge restriction of political
freedom in the digital sphere, and would therefore set a new and
potentially dangerous precedent.

Shane

- --
Shane Martin Coughlan