[Wolves] Making space in root in Ubuntu

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Wed May 3 00:34:48 BST 2006

Paul Harrison wrote:

> I just did an upgrade to Dapper.  It was almost scuppered by a lack of
> space.  I've got Ubuntu, Kubuntu & Xubuntu desktops installed, and the
>  6.5GB root partition choked on login.

I've been tracking Dapper updates a while now. I freed up a few hundred
meg by looking at installed packages, sorted by disk usage in Synaptic
packager manager. The non essential ones were mainly defunct kernels &
their sources.

An excellent way of visualising used filesystem space quickly, is the
Treemap. This is implemented in Baobab:

http://www.marzocca.net/linux/baobab.html

There is an Ubuntu package.

Regards