[Wolves] Making space in root in Ubuntu

David Goodwin gingerdog at gmail.com
Tue May 2 10:28:35 BST 2006

I can only suggest that you try to remove unnecessary software - e.g.
clean out /usr/src,
apt-get remove --purge $something

>  And does removing xubuntu-desktop have any
> knock-on, considering my PC thinks it's booting Xubuntu in the splash
> screen?

Normally the -desktop packages are meta-packages, in that they only
contain dependencies to other packages, so keeping them installed is a
good idea if you wish that desktop to be kept up to date. If you wish
to remove e.g. xubuntu-desktop, you'd probably want to do an :

apt-cache show xubuntu-desktop
<look for the Depends line>
apt-get remove $packages_from_depends_line

It'll take a little thought as to which packages you remove, as some
may be core and requied by more than just the xfce desktop (e.g.
system libraries).

Alternatively, dpkg -l | grep xfce | awk '{print $2}' | xargs dpkg --purge

would probably work.
David.
--
David Goodwin