CACert (was Re: [Wolves] A day with the boys from GLLUG)

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Sat May 6 00:14:06 BST 2006

On Friday 05 May 2006 23:29, Andy Smith wrote:

> Okay, but how does that relate to my argument that the SSL
> certificate industry is like a cartel? :)

Now you release the demon.

For an ssl certificate or a pgp certificate to be believed by everyone you
need a governing body, some authority thats trusted.

Nobody has the time, resources, or finances to regulate this from their
kitchen, plus, like it or not, the majority will only trust a financially
supported body, an organisation that has staff to monitor, administer the
plethora of certificates.

Actually this is a very good opening gambit for the whole Linux ethos, things
are moving along very very fast from what I see posted on the web its a case
of king canute all over again. The warning signs are there if you care to
read them.

Propriety Linux will be king within a very short time, to turn this full
circle it would not surprise me to see nominal fees being charge for Ubuntu
very soon thats because of the huge take up.

"Once you have them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow"

--
Regards
Peter Cannon