CACert (was Re: [Wolves] A day with the boys from GLLUG)

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat May 6 11:17:33 BST 2006

On 06/05/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 05 May 2006 23:29, Andy Smith wrote:
>
> > Okay, but how does that relate to my argument that the SSL
> > certificate industry is like a cartel? :)
>
> Now you release the demon.
>
> For an ssl certificate or a pgp certificate to be believed by everyone you
> need a governing body, some authority thats trusted.
>
> Nobody has the time, resources, or finances to regulate this from their
> kitchen, plus, like it or not, the majority will only trust a financially
> supported body, an organisation that has staff to monitor, administer the
> plethora of certificates.
>
> Actually this is a very good opening gambit for the whole Linux ethos, things
> are moving along very very fast from what I see posted on the web its a case
> of king canute all over again. The warning signs are there if you care to
> read them.
>
> Propriety Linux will be king within a very short time, to turn this full
> circle it would not surprise me to see nominal fees being charge for Ubuntu
> very soon thats because of the huge take up.
>
> "Once you have them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow"
>
> --
> Regards
> Peter Cannon
> "There is every excuse for not knowing
> there is no excuse for not asking"

That's roughly it in a nutshell.

I would add though, that, people seemed to be falling over themselves
to trust Thawte.  That trust was then accepted when Mark S decided to
go into creating Ubuntu.  Has there been such a major change in
Thawte/Verisign that they can no longer be trusted?

I'm speaking in a general term here by the way.  I don't refer to
individual trust as there is always somebody who does not 'trust',
which is needed for a healthy society.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay