CACert (was Re: [Wolves] A day with the boys from GLLUG)

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Sat May 6 18:40:24 BST 2006

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 11:17:31AM +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 06/05/06, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
> >On Friday 05 May 2006 23:29, Andy Smith wrote:
> >
> >> Okay, but how does that relate to my argument that the SSL
> >> certificate industry is like a cartel? :)
> >
> >Now you release the demon.
> >
> >For an ssl certificate or a pgp certificate to be believed by everyone you
> >need a governing body, some authority thats trusted.

[...]

> That's roughly it in a nutshell.

I still don't understand how it follows that because:

        A guy called Mark Shuttleworth owned an SSL cert company
        called Thawte and then sold it to Verisign and used some of
        the proceeds to fund a linux distro called Ubuntu.

then:

        The SSL cert business is not a scam cartel.

I just don't see what one item has to do with the other in any way.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB