[Wolves] Novells Gnome

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon May 15 10:49:58 BST 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 10:24, Simon Morris wrote:

> I think that incident is unfortunate - I wouldn't use Fedora Core for a
> production system and Red Hat are correct to push their more mature
> products forward to their customers. But doing this undermines their
> community based product. Nasty situation and I bet Novell would
> recommend the same when it comes to SLES and OpenSUSE.

With my money grabbing capitalist hat on I don't see this as a problem.
The problem rests with the users in not understanding what they are 'getting
into', its always been clear to me that 99.9% of the freely downloadable
stuff is;
1. So that the vendor can claim association to free/open source.
2. So that the community can, test, fix and improve.

They'll then nick the best bits for the 'Pay for Version' all of the free
(money) stuff will always be pants it has to be.

I understand that, I accept that, hence I don't use bleeding edge stuff and
wait a good month or so before upgrading, if I wasn't such a tight git I'd
pay for RHEL4.

I don't think Red Hat or Novells position undermines the community (In My
Opinion) the community undermines itself by thinking the version they have is
stable/better. True you can make it very stable but at the end of the day
that stability will just end up in the proprietary version anyway.

Back in the bad old days people used to be Beta testers for games and all
sorts, you got the game for free played it for hours then reported any bugs
or problems. Most of the games producers have gone the other way now and just
ship the game anyway and then post fixes when needed.

Fedora is just the same as the old days of Beta testers when you think about.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon
Jabber:highwayman.turpin at gmail.com