[Wolves] Novells Gnome

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Wed May 17 08:58:30 BST 2006

On 14/05/06, Knowlesands at aol.com <Knowlesands at aol.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>          As a not very long newbie user of Suse 9.1 and WLUG I am thinking
> of upgrading to 10.1.To that end I would be interested in the opinions of
> any members using it on its pros and cons.I can adapt to the version of
> Gnome or KDE in use.

Well having suggested that you wait for a while to use 10.1 and watch
the bug list my laptop screen died yesterday leaving me without a
computer for work. I've sent it back to IBM and installed SUSE 10.1 on
a desktop for the interim.

I went for Gnome as my installation choice of desktop although I was
seriously considering KDE this time around. I need to see if there is
a metapackage I can install to get the whole KDE desktop going as
well.

Impressions of 10.1:

 * The Tango Project icons are very nice and make a marked difference
to the desktop. Again it all looks even more crisp than the last
revision of Gnome

  * Evolution (with the Exchange connector) is reassuringly crap. I'd
be worried if it wasn't. Unusable again.

 * There is a new way to select and install packages outside of the
YaST2 application. Looks very nice but failed with some obscure error
when I tried to use it.

 * Overall - my advice is still to wait a month :)

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com
www: http://beerandspeech.org