[Wolves] RE: University of Wolverhampton

Green, Matthew A. M.A.Green at wlv.ac.uk
Sun Nov 5 21:35:34 GMT 2006

Hello Wolverhampton Linux User Group,

Apologies in editing the subject line - I think that the discussion had
moved sufficiently from "IMPORTANT: Handing over the reigns..."

Due to recent interest from the LUG in the University (and my name
mentioned in postings) I decided it was time to step forward.  I am
Matthew Green, a member of the teaching staff from the School of
Computing and IT (SCIT) at the University - some of you may
remember/know me as I know there are some former/current students on the
list.

I thought it might be appropriate to answer some of the questions that
have been posted, and offer some more insight into the inner workings of
SCIT and UoW in general.

Firstly let me add to/amend some of the points that have been made so
far on this topic - in no particular order:

1. To the best of my knowledge, Peter Burden was a primary, but not
only, advocate of Open Source and specifically Linux at the University
and has now left.  In his absence several individuals have picked up
aspects of Peter's work and interests.  I have taken on most of Peter's
former responsibilities, and in recent months, have found myself more
and more attracted to Linux, to which I can happily announce that this
week I removed my final remaining Windows partition. :-)  Contrary to
postings on the list, Peter's "pro-Linux" approach is far from dead, as
there is a growing number of existing and new members of staff that are
pro-Linux - I consider myself to be one of these advocates.

2. My interest in OpenSSH is only an interest in as much as I am
interested in all things Open Source.  The reference to OSSH is due to
one of my growing collection of "geek" T-Shirts that students can often
see me in, others include Ubuntu, Google, Port25, etc.  My recent
attendance at the European Open Source convention in Brussels help me
expand my knowledge and my collection. :-)

3. On the subject of marketing (i.e. posters) the noticeboards on campus
are primarily for official notices and not free-for-all, however I
believe if permission were sought, that there should be no reason for
approved posters to be removed.

4. Currently, on a Computer Science degree, greater than 50% of first
year modules have Linux content, ranging in quantity from basic concepts
through to practical usage, and Open Source content continues throughout
the current Computer Science and similar undergraduate courses.  There
are a number of discussions currently in progress to further develop the
provision of Open Source technologies on our courses.

5. Contrary to postings, student interest in Linux is growing
exponentially.  On modules I lead, several hundred first year students
have Open Source/Linux exposure in there first semester, and
approximately 75% have extensive practical ongoing usage of Linux
desktops in second semester.  Students are approaching me on an
increasing basis for assistance in getting started with Linux, and I
offer my assistance in installs/configs/etc. where required.

So what's next?

I feel this is an appropriate time for the University and the LUG to
form stronger connections and a mutually beneficial relationship.  I
will make some initial inquiries as to the extent to which the
University can support the LUG with regards to facilities, access to
students, etc, so will not make any promises at this stage, but what I
can assure is that the LUG has an active, positive advocate within the
university who can help promote the activities of the LUG to the SCIT
student population.

What I would like is some feedback as to what specifically how the LUG
believe I/SCIT/the University can help.  I would like to help facilitate
as many requests as is practical.  From postings and such, I think the
following is a good starting point for ideas:

1. Promotion of existence of the LUG and related activities to
staff/student population?
2. Possible usage of University facilities to hold
meetings/talks/discussions?

I would welcome any further opinions/ideas on this subject, and look
forward to entering into discussions on how to further this
relationship.  I read the mailing list in digest form, and at present
infrequently, so apologies for any delay in replies - I can also be
contacted directly if required.

Matthew Green
School of Computing and IT
University of Wolverhampton, UK