[Wolves] Coder breaking

Peter Evans zen8486 at zen.co.uk
Mon Nov 27 16:20:24 GMT 2006

On Monday 27 November 2006 15:58, Jen Phillips wrote:
> I'm similarly stumped on how to split the string into characters :-/

<snip>

All of which makes it slightly more complicated than the '+4 rotation' we'd
expect from a Caesar cipher?

I made the assumption that they'd performed the encryption on the plaintext
and then simply substituted the resulting ciphertext with its numerical
equivalent.  Then collapsed the resulting set of numbers into a single stream
of a single number.

Which is probably wrong, because it's proving to be difficult to decrypt
quickly and methodically - even given the fact that we've been told both the
encryption algorithm and the key!

My initial working on the string gave me the following (attached) working on
the assumption that no number can be greater than 25 and that no numbers are
padded with leading 0's there has to be a character break immediately
following the 0.  Not all numbers have been looked at since it didn't look to
be panning out anyway (ref. my final comment).

Last line is simply an attempt to reverse the rotation - just in case.  Got me
nowhere though.

Of course we've all automatically assumed that the plaintext is a) In English
and b) Makes any sort of sense anyway?
--
Regards,

Pete Evans