[Wolves] Wireless network access

leo sandhu leosandhu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 16:27:54 BST 2006

Actually I seem to have encountered more shit belikin adapters than anybody
else I know.

There are two particularly good (and painful) examples of this.   1 they
produced a usb .11b stick that was  'guaranteed' to work with linux.   Shame
that they then changed the chipset (to one that will never work with linux)
but not the model number so I was effectively palmed for 30quid.

2.  My friend bought a particularly popular belkin router from PcWorld.  Not
only did it later transpire that it had been discontinued by some 6 months,
the Transceiver functionality died within 12 weeks.   Perhaps if you
actually keep receipts (my friend doesn't) and enjoy shouting at the poor
sods in PCWorld, this would not be so bad but I reckon for the price
differentials, there are better ways of keeping the world afloat....

Intel chips are, I believe, reasonably compatible with linux.   However, for
network stability they also suck.   Again, I have encountered several
systems where the weak link has boiled down to inferior technology.   Unlike
10/100mbps wired ethernet, cheaper routers will really bottleneck a
system.   <4 ping packets sound familiar?

The only chipset manufacturer that I have not heard a bad word about in wifi
terms is Atheros.  Go do a google and gasp at the price differential.  They
are worth every penny of it.