[Wolves] RAID on 750mhz processor?

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Oct 9 11:41:27 BST 2006

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 10:24:53AM +0100, Mark Ellse wrote:
> BUT, though it's a doddle to set up RAID on a linux system, I didn't
> crack what to do when one of the disk fails - simulated by turning off
> the power to one disk. Then what do you do? It doesn't seem to be
> straightforward. Or is it James?

If your machine is still working at this point then yes it is
simple; you just issue the correct mdadm command to fail the
device(s) out of the RAID array(s).

An operating system running on commodity PC hardware often doesn't
survive this though, not even SATA or SCSI sometimes, so in these
situations all you can do is reboot.  At least it should all boot up
again even if the drive is failed.

Cheers,
Andy