[Wolves] Freeview for a MythTV HTPC, AIGLX/XGL with Intel graphics chips

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Thu Sep 7 01:19:19 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 01:39 +0100, Alex Willmer wrote:

Now I understand a bit more I may as well jot something down.

> If I wish to get 2 tuners, what's the simplest in terms of driver
> fiddling a 2 PCI cars, a twin tuner card or 2 USB tuners?

>From what I gather, 2 PCI cards is the most commonly chosen option -
hence the best supported. There are 2 combination cards that caught my
eye:
1. Terratec Cynergy 2400i, A PCI Express card for which there is
currently no Linux support. Someone announced they would release a
driver at IFA, an Italian electronics show, I've not heard an word so
far.
2. Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500. A newly released, half height PCI card
with 2 emebdded USB tuners and a PCI-USB bridge. A post to the linux-dvb
list stated supported had been written, the author will post it once
they've done some clean up.

So if I go the combined route, drivers will at best be straight from
head.

> Additionally, I'd like to get the newest 3D desktop eye candy working on
> it. I understand the simplest way is using an recent Intel chipset, for
> which 3D open source drivers are included in the kernel.
>
> Does anyone know whether Intel 945 graphics chipsets are able to
> accelerate Compiz, or is it only the 965 chipset that does it?

The GMA950 accompanies the Intel 945 chipset, it accelarates XGL now.
The GMA X3000 is a new GPU from Intel, it's their first ever to
accelerate Transform & Lighting (T&L) - making it actually useful for
some 3D gaming. In August Intel released the source code for the X3000
source code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA