[Wolves] NIC seems to be set up for inet6 only

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 13:55:53 BST 2006

--- Paul Harrison <lists at milboro.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get Ubuntu Dapper Server going, but I
> have no network.
>
> In ifconfig, eth0 has an "inet6 addr" entry, no
> "inet", which I guess
> is the root of the problem.
>
> I've Googled for it to no avail & the Ubuntu forums
> are down.  Any wisdom welcome.

Similar to Dave, I'm no expert on IPv6, but look in 2
places. First use the Gnome menus and go to System >
Administration > Networking, choose your interface and
look at the details. Compare with the contents of
/etc/network/interfaces. You should at least be able
to work out whether your machine was configured with
an IPv4 address.

How are your machines addressed? Statically or by
DHCP? There are Ubuntu forum posts on disabling IPv6
which speeds things up when using routing equipment
which doesn't understand IPv6.

Hope that points you towards a solution.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk

http://blog.adamsweet.org