[Wolves] White-board software

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 21:14:12 BST 2006

--- Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> I'm learning lots of lovely diagramming techniques
> and I use Umbrello
> software for UML . The problem is that it isn't
> quite quick enough to
> use during an interview. I like the 'Agile' idea of
> using a white-board
> and taking a photograph of it or of using a graphics
> tablet and VERY
> simple drawing software that does no more than
> working like a
> white-board that saves. I don't want polygons,
> spline-curves etc., just
> pens, a rubber and file save. At a push - zoom in
> and out; move up,
> down, left and right, type on the keyboard.
>
> So does anyone know of Linux software for
>
> a) cleaning up digital photographs physical
> white-boards automatically
> like http://www.polyvision.com/products/wbp.asp does
> on Windows (a 20
> minute Gimp session isn't quick enough. I might want
> to refer back to
> the drawing I wiped 5 minutes ago now.)
>
> or b) stupidly simple 'white-board' emulation
>
> It's hard to Google for this stuff without getting
> electronic
> white-boards for education or 2 grand 'tablet PCs.'
>
> Some amazing idea I haven't thought of would be good
> too.

Hmm, most places I looked seem to say there is very
little...

I a quick search through Synaptic come up with sTeam
and wbd (which is apparently a clone of wb which James
suggested). Neither of these appear to be a simple
standalone app from what I can tell.

Smart Technologies do a version of their Smartboard
software for Linux, albeit for Red Hat 9, Mandrake 9.1
and SuSE 8.1.

http://www.smarttech.com/support/software/unix.asp

The Windows version of Smart Notebook was quite good
if I recall, although obviously non-free. You wouldn't
need a smartboard specifically to use it. It worked
with a mouse, so I'm sure you could hook it up to a
projector and graphics tablet, though I'm sure you
could say the same about any plain drawing package
such as MS Paint and it's Linux clones.

Hmm on closer inspection they don't appear to provide
Smart Notebook for Linux, you could try the Windows
version in Wine though I spose.

You could also take a look at Freemind which is
mind-mapping software. It runs on Java, dunno about
the free java implementations but the Sun jre is
packed for Ubuntu these days if you need it.

Thats all I could think of.

Ad

--

http://www.drinky.org.uk