[Wolves] Forced to ditch Linux

Philip Moore philip at ptm48.flyer.co.uk
Mon Aug 27 20:53:29 BST 2007

Hi

As a user of both Linux and XP professional (I have to for work reasons) I
can appreciate the benefits and downsides to both systems.  As has been
noted "if MS software was as bad as you make out then the world would have
imploded or something".

Yes, XP is vulnerable to attack.  When I run XP using a wireless network I
have 2 firewalls, an enterprise level anti-virus program, a registry
cleaning program, 2 anti-spyware programs, and anti-spam software in
addition to browser add-ons.  As a working system however I have them all
running as background systems running and updating to an automatic daily
schedule.  The system therefore makes no more demands on my time than my
Linux system.

I would like to see Linux really 'take off', however, just attacking
Microsoft will not achieve the objective we all would like to see.  If Linux
evangelists are ever to succeed in penetrating the general market segment
(personal and commercial) it will not be by always knocking Microsoft
products - given that XP (Vista is currently a flawed product) generally
works for most people and organisations who use it.

Philip Moore