[Wolves] Nokia n800

Chris Kempson C.D.J.Kempson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 09:40:44 BST 2007

I have an n800 and an n770 lying around somewhere. I actually prefer
the n770 because it had, or rather the 2006 edition OS had, the
possibly to add OGG support and it seemed much better at playing
videos. I have several videos that work flawlessly on the 770 which
now crash the n800 as in blank screen and reboot type of crash.

The n800 has some nice features such as being faster, being able to
play flash videos (to some degree) because of Flash 9 over Flash 7
support and the all important headset socket allowing for external mic
(great if you intend to use the gadget for VoIP). However I feel Nokia
have taken two steps forward and one step back, I'm just waiting for
the 800's problems to be rectified (I hope).

I actually like the fact it has Skype on, there's no point in me
trying to discuss the merits of open source software to everyone I
want to talk to over the net and so, when I must use Skype, the n800
provides a way of me being able to use it whilst keeping my desktop
"clean" :)

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it but it might be one of those
devices you buy, play with and then wonder what you're going to use it
for. Mine sits on a desk and tells the time and is only occasionally
useful for checking emails and using VoIP, well until I got an n95
phone that is which now does both of those tasks so yes... it's just a
clock now but it's a nice looking clock.

Chris