[Wolves] Nokia n800

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 23:16:26 BST 2007

Zeth Green wrote:
> On 28/08/2007, Lee Parkes <leep at bogus.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Anyone got one of the Nokia n800 "Internet tablets"? Read a review in a Linux
>> mag and they seem to be rather good. Just wondering if anyone had any first
>> hand experiences..?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>         Lee

I agree with both comments so far.

It's a great bit of hardware but Nokia is clueless about our culture. It
seems happy to take but doesn't give much back and it seems to prefer
closed to open.
The Nokia media player doesn't support Ogg Vorbis. They market Skype at
the expense of Gizmo which was available first. They've done little to
help get apps written for the previous tablet ported to the new,
slightly incompatible OS. Unless you like compiling from sources and
fixing the bugs yourself you'd better be patient.

The screen requires perfect eyesight which I no longer have yet it's
still a bit too big to feel comfortable in a shirt pocket.

You need Wi-Fi (£10 pm from The Cloud) or a data service (around £40 pm,
limited except T-Mobile) if either works in your area. It isn't a PDA.
You need web access for it to be useful.

I mainly use mine as a music player when I'm out of the house and still
have to carry my very poorly Palm V. Palm's Graffitti writing system is
much more reliable and hence faster than the N800's handwriting
recognition. Memory has gone up to 2 x 8GB SD cards in the recent OS
upgrade.

I thought it would be a compromise between a PDA and a laptop. I now
have a new laptop. I'm not saying don't but beware of its limitations.

Woo