[Wolves] Audio-->Text

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 10:28:14 GMT 2007

On 10/12/2007, Richard Smedley <smedley358 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 09:35 +0000, ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin wrote:
> > Here's a question, is there some software (Free or otherwise) that
> > will convert Audio to text/
>
> Effectively, no (iow, yes - but it's rubbish)
>
> > I'm starting to get heavily into listening to podcasts and and was
> > thinking "How do deaf people enjoy this"? can they download the ogg or
> > mp3 and run it through some sort of converter so they can read the
> > show?
>
> Accessibility guidelines suggest transcripts should be available for
> all audio and video on ones website.
>
> Accessibility legislation would seem to make this mandatory, but
> given lack of case law we have some way to go before this is
> widely accepted.
>
>  - Richard

I'm not sure the legislation is all that good anyway.  For one thing
it is only really any good for the UK and probably the EU.  Then, how
can it be enforced against the private individual who is just creating
podcasts as a hobby?

We used to use Dragon Naturally Speaking at the Uni for one student.
However, this was 8 years ago and it took some time to get it set up.
In saying that, 8 years is a long time in computing so the software
must have come on a pace since then?  I also have a vague memory of
some other software that was available.  Again, not open source and
not widely known about or even available.  I remember I was given a
copy to evaluate by a mature student.  I think I still have it
somewhere.... I'll have a rummage around and see what it was.