[Wolves] BBC & Winows DRM - shouldn't we complain?

Broadfield Robert BroadfieldR at walsall.gov.uk
Wed Feb 21 17:33:51 GMT 2007

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000183
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000183>

>The BBC is contemplating the use of Windows DRM to control how its
on-demand

>content is viewed. This means one must use Windows Media Player 10
(egad!),

>leaving the Linux and Macintosh folks poop-out-of-luck. Glyn encourages
all

>of us to take the appropriate action to stop it.

Since most of us pay for a TV Licence, shouldn't we object to this in
the strongest terms?  They seem to be breaching their own Fair Trade
Guidelines:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/commercial_guides/pdf/fairtrading_gui
delines1106.pdf

In particular, check out:

1.14 ...BBC Brands should not be used to :
            * endorse or promote particular outside organisations or
their activities (anyone see the recent BBC2 programme on Vista?)
            * imply that UK consumers need to buy commercial products
and services to access public service programming     (Windows Media
Player)

3.47 (Fixed Terms & Conditions)
3.48 (Exclusivity in relationship between BBC and Third Party)

3.50 ...Tying:making supply of one product conditional on the customer
accepting another product it does not want.

There may be more...I haven't read this document (or any others)
thoroughly.  We should try to "stop the rot" if we can.

Rob

"The information in this message should be regarded as confidential and
is intended for the addressee only unless explicitly stated.  If you
have received this message in error it must be deleted and the sender
notified.  The views expressed in this message are personal and not
necessarily those of Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council unless
explicitly stated.  Please be aware that emails sent to or received from
Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council may be intercepted and read by the
Council.  Interception will only occur to ensure compliance with Council
policies or procedures or regulatory obligations, to prevent or deter
crime, or for the purposes of essential maintenance or support of the
email system"