[Wolves] BBC & Winows DRM - shouldn't we complain?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 09:25:17 GMT 2007

On 21/02/07, Broadfield Robert <BroadfieldR at walsall.gov.uk> wrote:

> >Save the BBC from Windows DRM! by Glyn Moody
>

> http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000183
>
> >The BBC is contemplating the use of Windows DRM to control how its
> on-demand
>
> >content is viewed. This means one must use Windows Media Player 10 (egad!),
>
> >leaving the Linux and Macintosh folks poop-out-of-luck. Glyn encourages all
>
> >of us to take the appropriate action to stop it.
> Since most of us pay for a TV Licence, shouldn't we object to this in the
> strongest terms?  They seem to be breaching their own Fair Trade Guidelines:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/commercial_guides/pdf/fairtrading_guidelines1106.pdf
>
> In particular, check out:
>
> 1.14 ...BBC Brands should not be used to :
>             * endorse or promote particular outside organisations or their
> activities (anyone see the recent BBC2 programme on Vista?)
>             * imply that UK consumers need to buy commercial products and
> services to access public service programming     (Windows Media Player)
>
> 3.47 (Fixed Terms & Conditions)
> 3.48 (Exclusivity in relationship between BBC and Third Party)
>
> 3.50 ...Tying:making supply of one product conditional on the customer
> accepting another product it does not want.
>
> There may be more...I haven't read this document (or any others) thoroughly.
>  We should try to "stop the rot" if we can.
>
> Rob

I'm in 100% agreement, Rob.  Any idea where we can complain to?  Got
an e-mail address?  This stinks as bad as the news that Prince Harry
might be going to Iraq....but oh, sudden announcement from HM
Government that our trops are going to be pulled out :-(((  there's
just too much of this shafting of the British public going on at the
moment.
Don't take it to the tip recycle it via the Freecycle(r) Network.

For a group near to you look here:
Worldwide
http://www.freecycle.org/

United Kingdom