[Wolves] Xen

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 11 20:45:41 GMT 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 07:27:21PM +0000, Adam Sweet wrote:
> --- Andy Smith <andy at lug.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 12:25:28PM +0000, Adam Sweet
> > wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > Is anyone using Xen?
> >
> > Yes, rather a lot (see signature) :)
>
> Yeah, I've read your Xen hosting Wiki quite a few
> times as it happens, while I haven't set Xen up yet,
> the features provided by your hosting seem pretty
> intimidating :) Anyway, I was hoping you would pipe up
> :)

Well if you are today looking to run a virtual server hosting
service on open source software then I think your only viable
choices are Xen and Virtuozzo.  UML is far too slow.

I have not had first hand experience with Virtuozzo but I have
researched it a fair bit.  It's a bit like BSD jails in that it's a
sort of super chroot -- everything runs under one kernel.  I have
read that it offers slightly more performance than Xen (which makes
sense since it's a more lightweight form of virtualisation), and it
has a more mature system of measuring out resources.

You can't give different virtual servers different kernels, and you
can't run anything other than Linux, but to be honest I have never
had to do that so far with Xen anyway.  One guy asked for Plan 9 but
I was out of capacity at the time and he went to Black Cat I
believe.

From what I can see, Fedora and SuSe are putting the most effort
into packaging Xen -- Debian actually uses a Fedora patch for its
Xen packaged kernel.  But I have had no real problems making things
work with Debian Sarge and now Etch.

Just a few thoughts..

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB