[Wolves] LRL Mass Debate - BBC Guidelines

Chris Fox chris at robotninja.net
Sun Jul 8 23:04:19 BST 2007

Zeth Green wrote:
> They have two years of Windows-only DRM.
>
> I think our approach should be to work on getting a firmer commitment
> of what they will do when the two years are up. I also think we should
> try and get them to actually say the word 'Linux'. Otherwise in two
> years they might present a quicktime extension or something.

(getting a little out of the scope of a LUG discussion but never mind)

Even that's a shortsighted approach though.

What about *BSD? Amiga? RiscOS on the old BBC micro? $randomOS etc etc etc?

The whole approach of proprietary DRM - and indeed proprietary
codecs/software - is that it's naturally exclusive to one degree or
another. I admit that in practice it's an unavoidable problem, but I
think it's one that needs to be recognised.

In reality, the BBC has throughout its history shown a willingness to
innovate and I agree that getting them to acknowledge the Linux issue
directly is a big part of the battle.

I honestly have no idea whether it's even possible, but I would guess
that the only solution would be an open source DRM system. Unfortunately
  I think that the OSS community would have to practically deliver a
totally finished product to the BBC - with implementations in Linux, OSX
and Windows - in order to convince them.

Unfortunately, with the current climate in parts of the OSS community of
"Defective By Design" and "ewwwwww DRM ick ick bad bad", I can imagine
that getting this done will be an even bigger stumbling block than
getting the BBC to adopt it.

Chris