[Wolves] New to Ubuntu

Chris Fox chris at robotninja.net
Sun Jul 22 18:13:51 BST 2007

Mo Awkati wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have finally installed Ubuntu.  I installed Ubunto 7.04 from LXF DVD
> and all runs well.
>
> In trying to switch over from SUSE 10.2,
>
> 1. I would like to install the Adobe reader for linux, is it possible to
> install it in Ubunto, if so how? I have already searched through the add
> and remove software but there is no reference to it there.

You shouldn't need to install any extra software beyond a default Ubuntu
install in order to open PDF files.

Most distros include a Document Reader application called evince as part
of Gnome (I'm sure KDE has an equivalent too), and double-clicking a PDF
file should launch it automatically.

> 2. I would like to install RealPlayer and/or Mplayer is that possible?
> same as 1 above.

For non-free media codecs, you might want to look into adding the
Medibuntu repository to your sources list.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

This repository contains software that Ubuntu/Canonical can't legally
distribute due to issues with software patents etc in certain countries,
so [insert blah blah disclaimer etc etc].

After adding the Medibuntu repo (instructions in the link above), a
quick "sudo apt-get install realplay" should install RealPlayer.

(sidenote - Medibuntu does include a package called "acroread" which is
Acrobat Reader, if you're having problems with evince.)

> 3. How do I stop having to log in with my name and password every time I
> boot up? I checked the log in screen preferences and the users screens
> but no option to do so like in SUSE.

As has already been mentioned, Desktop - Administration - Login Window.

Cheers,

Chris