[Wolves] New to Ubuntu

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 19:33:05 BST 2007

--- Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have finally installed Ubuntu.  I installed Ubunto
> 7.04 from LXF DVD and all runs well.
>
> In trying to switch over from SUSE 10.2,
>
> 1. I would like to install the Adobe reader for
> linux, is it possible to
> install it in Ubunto, if so how? I have already
> searched through the
> add and remove software but there is no reference to
> it there.

I know a lot of this has already been covered, as has
been said, there is no need to install Acrobat, Evince
is perfectly suitable. But should you need it, there
is a Feisty commercial software repositry, go to:

System -> Administration- > Software Sources -> Ubuntu
Software and tick all of the boxes you require
(Universe at least is a good idea, Multiverse is
software which isn't under a Free license and you can
guess what Proprietary Drivers are for, these are down
to own preference)

To add the commercial repo, click the Third Party
Software tab, click Add and then paste in (without any
linewrap):

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu
feisty-commercial main

You should now be able to find stuff like Java (not
sure whether this is still considered commercial since
the license change), Acrobat Reader, Real Player and
so on, though I doubt you will need most of these on
Ubuntu.

My preferred way to install software is through
Synaptic, which is on System -> Administration ->
Synaptic Package Manager.

> 2. I would like to install RealPlayer and/or Mplayer
> is that possible? same as 1 above.

Again, there should be no need to install these. VLC
does a great job of playing everything for me. Totem
can play most things and the new Easy Codec Installer
will prompt you to install codecs when you try to play
media which you don't have the codecs for, though I
still prefer to use VLC.

If you need any other help with codecs and non-Free
stuff such as DVD playback, have a look at the Ubuntu
wiki page:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats

> Cheers
>
> Mo

Good to see you're still rockin and rollin Mo :)

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/