[Wolves] Ubuntu setback

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Sat Jul 28 20:01:19 BST 2007

Hi Mo,

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 06:08:04PM +0000, Mo Awkati wrote:
>    I gave a colleague of mine a copy of the 7.04 Ubuntu LXF DVD after I
>    said how impressed I was with it. Unfortunately, my colleague did not
>    back his data from the windows side before installing Ubuntu. the
>    result was a loss of all his data after he installed Ubuntu. I thought
>    Ubuntu would have dual booted with the windows side??

[...]

Replacing the operating system on a computer without taking a backup,
hmm..

>    I understand is that he accepted the automatic option rather than the
>    manual. He used SUSE before so he is not entirely new to Linux.
>    Any thoughts from anyone who installed a dual boot option?

I don't run Windows but it seems possible to me that he may have
simply not configured the boot loader or perhaps it is not working.
You may want to go around there and check that his windows partition
really is gone before giving up the data as lost.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB