[Wolves] Google repositories

Chris Fox chris at robotninja.net
Thu Oct 11 11:04:29 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 10:47 +0100, ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin wrote:
> The 'releasing any information about on-line experiences' is a side
> issue that's just fuzzing things (Here we go again) I did say in the
> original post " I'm not saying thats good or bad just musing really"

I know, and my point wasn't thay they're doing "good" or "bad" things
with your data but that they're not collecting any identifiable (or even
usable) data in the first place.

> I'm more interested in why people should use the service over and
> above the tried and tested repos, and an observation that Google
> pretty much cater for everything now so should I be slinging my Linux
> boxes in the bin and doing all my work via my television and Google
> on-line apps?

Well IIRC most of the software in Google's Linux repos isn't released
under a GPL licence so it couldn't be distributed as part of most
official distros.

As for "Google are taking over the computing experience", I guess that's
up to you. What best suits your workflow? Some people are happier having
everything online and accessible from anywhere, while to be honest
trying to work productively in a browser window just irritates me and
raises my blood pressure.

Personally I hardly use any web apps - the only ones I can think of that
I use regularly are Google Reader (so I can read my RSS feeds in my
lunch break at work) and RememberTheMilk (to track my Uni deadlines, but
even that I'm (eventually) getting around to migrating into Evolution).

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Fox (chris at robotninja.net)