[Wolves] BTfon - Can anyone make any sense of this announcement?

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Tue Oct 16 05:36:43 BST 2007

Hi,

While I would agree with you that a lot of this is driven by
marketing of unnecessary things to people who should know better...

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 03:04:17PM +0100, ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin wrote:
> What possible reason could Joe Public have for walking down the high street
> Laptop in hand?

..I do think you have missed the point slightly.

An internet device does not have to be a laptop.  It is already
frequently a mobile phone, and could in future be many other things.
Ubiquitous internet access will change our lives, you may argue not
for the better, but it won't likely be in the form of people going
down the high street with laptops open in front of them.

At first of course it will be people sitting in pubs, bars and
coffee shops using the Internet, but with a city-wide wifi network
then all our devices could be online constantly.  As a simple
example Google maps could know where you actually are (by the GPS in
your phone) and so can just tell you where the nearest
$THING_YOU_WANT is.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB