[Wolves] Hosting a domain yourself

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Fri Oct 19 11:15:30 BST 2007

Philip Harper wrote:
> How do you go about the process of actually hosting your own domain,
> is this possible with just a normal broadband connection?

Depends on your ISP. I have a standard ADSL from Eclipse, but on a
package that gives me static IP addresses and doesn't block incoming web
traffic. This makes it very, very, easy. Others have reported big
problems with some other ISPs (particularly the likes of AOL.)

I don't run my own nameserver, though - I have my DNS records hosted by
XNAME.org, because 1: it's free, and 2: it just seems to work. (About 1
day down time in last 3 years, which is to say better than 99.9% uptime.)

On the router, I just pass traffic for the appropriate ports (80 and 25)
through to the webserver. I _should_ run a DMZ, but in practice, I don't :-)

My server runs Apache and MySQL for hosting the server (I wrote my own
CMS a long time ago, and it's now too in-place to change :-) ), and
Exim4 (for email). All this runs on Ubuntu Breezy (which gives you an
indication of how long this server's been in place and stable.)

I _don't_ host my blog in-house, though... I host in out on
Wordpress.com, because I've found that I get more traffic that way
(because of the way wordpress.com promotes blogs on its own server
farms.) However, my blog has "rich links" back to specific pages on my site.

The big issue I had was when I started having a lot more "rich" content,
particularly photos and videos. What I now do is host them on Flickr and
YouTube respectively, and my site just links to them at the right
places. The only downside I've found is the video quality YouTube
imposes, but the bandwidth limitations of ADSL don't lend themselves to
hi-def anyway :-)

M.