[Wolves] Hosting a domain yourself

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 12:31:36 BST 2007

--- Mark Harrison <Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com> wrote:

> Philip Harper wrote:
> > How do you go about the process of actually
> hosting your own domain,
> > is this possible with just a normal broadband
> connection?
> >
> Depends on your ISP. I have a standard ADSL from
> Eclipse, but on a
> package that gives me static IP addresses and
> doesn't block incoming web
> traffic. This makes it very, very, easy. Others have
> reported big
> problems with some other ISPs (particularly the
> likes of AOL.)
>
> I don't run my own nameserver, though - I have my
> DNS records hosted by
> XNAME.org, because 1: it's free, and 2: it just
> seems to work. (About 1
> day down time in last 3 years, which is to say
> better than 99.9% uptime.)
>
> On the router, I just pass traffic for the
> appropriate ports (80 and 25)
> through to the webserver. I _should_ run a DMZ, but
> in practice, I don't :-)

I've done it too and this is pretty much what I did
also. I used ZoneEdit for my DNS.

A couple of things to bear in mind. You will be fine
on cable until your IP address changes, though I
believe it is rare enough not to be a massive problem.
You will either need to look into something like
dyndns.org, be quick off the mark to change your DNS
and take the downtime hit, or get a business account
which assures you of a static IP.

If you're on cable in this area you are probably on
Blueyonder/Virgin Media, who at least used to allow
mail from inside their network only through their mail
servers, you couldn't run your own mail server and
send directly, I believe you'd have to use Virgin
Media's mail server as a 'smart host'. I don't know if
you can receive directly or whether it has to go via
their servers also, I wouldn't think this would be the
case though. They may not do any of this these days.

Another point on mail, most consumer broadband
connections don't allow you to set your reverse DNS
and more and more mail servers are refusing mail from
hosts with consumer grade style reverse DNS (ie
refusing IPs which resolve to hostnames with strings
like 'dsl' and 'cable' in them). Also there are spam
blacklists which contain lists of known consumer
broadband IP ranges, the IP range I was on with my
last ISP was submitted by them. I couldn't send a few
bits of mail.

Sorry to only offer bad news, but Mark's advice is
exactly what you want to look at doing, I'm just
offering the wrinkles.

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/