[Wolves] BBC Technology poll - vote now :-)

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Fri Oct 26 17:46:45 BST 2007

Chris Maggs wrote:
> Just after I voted, this story popped up!
>
> http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7063716.stm
>
> Great read, and I was outraged by the following section :
>
> [QUOTE]
> But a spokesman for Becta said the problem was that Microsoft required
> schools to have licences for every PC in a school that might use its
> software, whether they were actually doing so or running something
> else.
> [END QUOTE]
>
> Chris

Out of interest, why were you outraged? It's not an unreasonable offer
for MS to make:

"Look, Mr. IT Manager, either you keep accurate records of which PCs
have which applications, and work out the bill, or you just pay us £50
[1] per PC per year and you can install any applications you want".

[1] I've no idea what the figure actually is - the £50 is plucked out of
thin air.

I don't use Linux because I have some "moral horror" at MS - I use it
because it's cheaper, faster and better.

Mark