[Wolves] Thoughts on Virgin Media?

Chris Maggs chrismaggs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 10:07:49 UTC 2008

Hi, my name is Chris and I'm an ex-NTL employee!

Anyway, for my sins I worked on the Tech Support line when they were NTL
(Jan 2003 - August 2004 and Jan 2006 - April 2006) and would highly advise
against them.

Although some of their areas have improved over the last few years they do
still have some major issues with their network; mainly from
oversubscribing. On the subject, oversubscribing also leads to poor Tech
Support as the average customer level of computer literacy drops rapidly and
thus the Techs get fed up with "idiots" phoning for help.

I used to get calls from people who didn't even know how to turn a PC on let
alone use one! Also, when us geeks ring they need to ask us dumb questions
for many reasons. The first is because if they don't they get sacked for not
following procedure and the second is that if I had a £1 for every customer
I spoke to who claimed they were a "Network Technician" or "MCSE Qualified"
or "An Uber Computer Techie" and then turned out to be about as computer
literate as tic-tac I'd be living in Hawaii sipping cocktails all day!

Anyhoo, back to the point. A mate who just left VirginMedia in Swansea
before the remaining 20% of calls are shipped over to India told me that on
average 3,000 to 4,000 customer leave Virgin for BT every month.  This is
balanced by roughly the same number of customers passing Virgins
ex-customers as they walk the path from BT to Virgin!