[Wolves] Open Street Map

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:16:02 GMT 2008

Barbie
>Sent: 18 February 2008 4:37 PM
>To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group
>Subject: Re: [Wolves] Open Street Map
>
>On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 02:33:26PM +0000, Chris Maggs wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I have just got a new phone (a Sony Ericsson P910i) as was wondering
>> if I can use it for Open Street Map logging. I have an M-1000 Holux
>> Bluetooth GPS but was wondering what (free?) software I can use to get
>> started.
>>
>> If the P910i isn't suitable I have a Nokio 770 with Navicore I could use!
>
>Have a look at the Reviews page [1], as that is the page that gives a
>lot of background on what you can and can't use.
>
>[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/GPS_Reviews
>
>On a related OSM question, I uploaded my first GPX files over the
>weekend and wanted to edit them. Not quite understanding what I was
>meant to do, I've made a pigs ear of the first map. How do I delete the
>edited map, as in the bit done on Potlach, not the original GPX points?
>
>I plan on doing a few trips round Worcestershire over the coming months,
>so hopefully my skills will improve beyond my embarrassing first attempt
>;)

Don't worry, we all make mistake at some point. You might want to join one
or more of the OSM mailing lists to get specific advice (newbies and/or talk
are probably the two that will be the most beneficial, but be warned, the
volume on talk is big. Perhaps browse the archive if you don't want piles of
daily email. Alternatively hang out on the OSM IRC channel
irc://irc.oftc.net/osm for instant gratification :-)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mailing_lists

Potlatch has a "training" mode which does not save your edits to the server.
Perhaps try that before getting in too deep.

JOSM is probably the better option for the West Midlands area where there is
no background Yahoo imagery from which to trace. Plenty of info on using
JOSM on the OSM wiki.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Main_Page

If you need an experienced editor to clean up an area you have had problems
with then simply post the map view link and someone will I'm sure help you
out.

Cheers

Andy