[Wolves] Open Street Map

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:16:18 GMT 2008

Barbie
>Sent: 18 February 2008 4:37 PM
>To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group
>Subject: Re: [Wolves] Open Street Map
>

>On a related OSM question, I uploaded my first GPX files over the
>weekend and wanted to edit them. Not quite understanding what I was
>meant to do, I've made a pigs ear of the first map. How do I delete the
>edited map, as in the bit done on Potlach, not the original GPX points?

I spotted your bit of editing at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.39147&lon=-2.01814&zoom=16&layers=0BFT

A couple of helpers:
You ended up making a single way. That's fine when you initially trace over
your tracks but needs to be split into separate ways so that you can give
each a name.
You had set a highway=secondary tag to the single way and I assume that the
roads you were mapping were probably residential? if so then
highway=residential would be the correct tagging.
Watch out for overlapping ways. Each separate way needs to connect to other
ways at junctions but generally speaking otherwise there should not be any
duplicates.

Anyway, I've just been in and cleaned it up a bit for you. Hope that helps.
I may not have all the separate roads split correctly but you can sort that
out when you add the street names.

Best of luck and great to see someone mapping that area :-)

You might also note that we will be having a mega mapping party in South
Birmingham over the weekend of April 12/13. Based in Kingsheath. Plenty of
advice and help available then. We also have a micro mapping event planned
for the centre of Brum on mrch 2nd. Also not yet organised we will do a
social evening in a Brum pub soon should you want to chat over issues and
have fun at the same time :-)

Cheers

Andy (blackadder)