[Wolves] Tinkle tinkle little disk...

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 13:52:40 GMT 2008

--- Alex Willmer <alex at moreati.org.uk> wrote:

> So, for the further amusement of those present this
> evening..

http://www.moreati.org.uk/blog/2008/01/03/brought-to-you-by-the-letters-h-d-d-and-the-sound-tinkle/

Damn. Sucks don't it? I had a disk in my first PC
which was fine for 3-4 months at a time and then
corrupted. I'd reinstall and then everything would be
fine for a few more months. As I said the other day I
also lost 2 3-6  month old hard disks to a cheap,
badly ventilated and overstocked PC case. Finally, the
PSU blew and took the motherboard with it also. Just
say no to cheap cases which too much equipment in
them. Say yes to Linux kernel software RAID, regular
backups (note to self: make more regular backups) and
disk cooling fans.

Google did a study on disk failures over a period of
around 5 years and found that heavy usage and high
temperature were overstated factors. In fact in most
cases, low temperature and infrequent usage were most
common in failed drives, apart from in very old and
very new disks, which were susceptible to high temps
and heavy usage.

http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.html

Aq had an idea ages ago for a round-robin style backup
routine where, say, he backed up to my house, my house
backed up to Jono's house, Jono's house backed up to
Ron's house and so on. I don't think anyone has ever
sat down to discuss it though.

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/