[Wolves] Ubuntu on Eee PC - Worth it?

Rob Parker rfdparker2002 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 21:07:48 GMT 2008

Hey, I've noticed quite a few people on this list have brought Eee PC,
and I (well my father)has recently ordered one from EfficientPC (and it
is yet to arrive), and was wondering whether any have tried installing
Ubuntu, and if how good does it run compared to the default OS, as I
feel I would prefer a 'normal' GNOME desktop to the seemlingly
'childish-looking' icon interface or KDE.
I read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC and was wondering, first
how well if all gconf omptimization how well do and apps and the
interface fit on the small screen, and second how much worse (if any) is
the time taken to boot and shut down compared to the default OS (which
I've heard boots 15 seconds). Also does suspend and resume work, and is
the wireless reliable?
Also I was thinking of buying a ~4Gb SD card to increase capacity, I
guess the best thing to do would be hardlink dirs from it to my home
directory? (for folders such as Documents, Pictures, Music and Vidoes,
etc)
--
Rob Parker <rfdparker2002 at blueyonder.co.uk>
http://www.rfdparker2002.co.nr/