[Wolves] For all petrol heads like me :-) + on the subject of petrol

Mark Harrison mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Mon Jan 14 15:23:12 GMT 2008

One of the things that got lost in the whole "How MUCH taxpayers' money?"
debate is that the government was already in its neck in commitments.

For about the last 10 years, the government has charged banks and building
societies an annual "levy" which goes into the Financial Services
Compensation Scheme - which guarantees the first £3,000 and 90% of the next
£30,000ish of any deposit. So, the government have been for a long time
underwriting up to £30,000 per account.

Of course, the banks have been paying for this.... and therefore charging us
their customers for this, for years... but the government had, well, been
spending that money rather than saving it in case it was actually needed :-o

M.