[Wolves] Now I know what Vista hell is!!!!

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 18 22:38:33 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 21:28 +0000, Mark Harrison wrote:
> Sadly, I have had conversations with people in the Linux community who
> use phrases like "Microsoft is Evil", and still don't understand why
> this isn't a very effective sales pitch to the average CIO :-)

Well, at least there are advocacy howtos available if people
are willing to improve :-/

[snip]
> The most _effective_ conversation I have with my "peer group" is about
> how WEB APPS are saving us money across the board (not least because
> some of the team are quite happily running 8+ year old PCs and able to
> work perfectly well), and how Linux is a far more flexible, scalable
> and secure platform than Windows for said apps.

Certainly a lot of people think the MS desktop will lose
dominance simply because enough people will be running
everything through their browser, and the platform on
which you're running the browser won't have the same degree
of lock-in.

I don't see web apps growing that fast, necessarily, but
they seem to be growing in every sector. Not necessarily
a move towards software freedom of course, as the web app
market has a number of dominant proprietary players, even
if they do mostly use LAMP.

Meanwhile several GNU-powered followers of the EEEPC and
OLPC will appear this year, putting Debian-based distros
into thousands of new hands :)

Cheers,

 - Richard