[Wolves] Now I know what Vista hell is!!!!

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Fri Jan 18 09:43:13 GMT 2008

On 18/01/2008, Rob Broadfield <rob.broadfield at googlemail.com> wrote:

> a) This is a Linux User Group mailing list and therefore he should be able
> to vent about the shortcomings of other operating systems in relative safety
> (without too much adverse reaction).

Rob you go to the top of my *This guy's OK list* historically a lot of
people have not understood what *Linux User Groups* are, they seem to
confuse them with official mailing lists so you get ignorant comments
like;

"I thought this was a Linux mailing list?"
"What the hell has that got to do with Linux?"

Linux User Group e.g. Wolves-Lug is a group of unwashed weirdos who
just happen to use Linux its the one tenuous thing that draws them
together ordinarily they probably wouldn't cross the road to piss on
you if you was on fire.

By the same token I get angry when I see people whining on *User
Groups* "I thought this was a Linux group?" it makes me want to yell
"FO to the (Example distro) Ubuntu forum and get help there you twat!"

> b) Kevan is playing his part in promoting the use of Linux (not sure if this
> is a stated aim of Wolves LUG - but it should be!).  Those members that
> challenge this and sing the praises of other operating systems here should
> think about this.

I was taken aback a little when Kevan was attacked but bit my lip,
he's big enough and ugly enough to fight his own battles however I was
wrong, so as far as I'm concerned anyone can discuss anything here.
Now I don't make the rules that's up to Dave as he is the Webmaster
but if anyone wants to discuss Windows on here with me that's fine if
you want to talk about Mac with me that's fine if you want to discuss
your terrible farting that's fine too!

> c) Where Linux appears to have shortcomings, by all means ask for support on
> this list or help the community by filing bug reports/change requests (or if
> you know enough - help improve Linux).

Linux is crap yes you heard me its crap but that's the beauty of it
everyone is striving to make it better if it was Windows or even Mac
(I know nothing about Mac by the way) we would not be able to
contribute in the way we all do.

Linux is streets ahead in some areas to Windows, Microsoft is pinching
ideas and formats from the Linux community and we are letting them by
spending all our efforts slagging MS rather than making Linux better
than MS.

I use both Microsoft and Linux I doubt I will ever give up Microsoft
some of the applications that only run under Windows are excellent so
why would I make my life a misery by saying "Oh I'd never use that
nasty man Bill Gate's stuff" I think that's called "Cut your nose off
to spite your face".

> I am realistic enough to recognise that we live in a Microsoft dominated
> world at the moment but I believe the tide is turning (slowly but surely).

Microsoft will never go away and I for one don't want them too
otherwise who else would there be for us to compete against, each
other perhaps? "My distro's better than yours" Oh hang on we do that
already. :-(

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release
System packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a
snapshot to the stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a
fresh install the command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.