FUD was:[Wolves] BBC iPlayer woes...

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 26 18:24:03 GMT 2008

Peter Evans wrote:
> To attribute FUD as only being connected with Microsoft is I think
> grossly unfair. There's plenty of examples of 'Fear, Uncertainty and
> Disinformation' being spread by other people/companies on all sorts of
> subjects.
I first came across FUD during the decline of IBM mainframes. I believe
the D stood for "doubt". At a time when 'no-one got fired for buying
IBM' I saw an IBM salesman in a competitive situation against a DEC VMS
system (their main competitor in the market) ask a long-term IBM
customer "Who are DEC?". The Doubt killed the sale for DEC even though
it was half the price. A free system is much easier to undermine. I'm
afraid I see Microsoft being the new IBM too.