[Wolves] I have just recieved my N+ first course book and have a query......

James Dalley j.dalley at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Jan 26 22:50:25 GMT 2008

 From: davmor2 at gmail.com
> To: wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
> Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 21:33:33 +0000
> Subject: [Wolves] I have just recieved my N+ first course book and have a	query......
>
> In the text it says a bus topology follows the 5-4-3 rule.
> 5 network segments  (what the hell is a segment?  Is it just as simple
> as 5 section where computers can be added)
> 4 repeaters  (these I understand improve the signal strength)
> 3 of the 5 segments can have nodes.  (why?)
>
> Help please it's thrown me and I know that your explainations will make
> more sense than the course providers :)
> --
> Seek That Thy Might Know

5-4-3 Rule
      A consideration in setting up a tree topology using Ethernet protocol
        is the 5-4-3 rule. One aspect of the Ethernet protocol requires that a
        signal sent out on the network cable reach every part of the network within
        a specified length of time. Each concentrator or repeater that a signal
        goes through adds a small amount of time. This leads to the rule that
        between any two nodes on the network there can only be a maximum of 5
        segments, connected through 4 repeaters/concentrators. In addition, only
        3 of the segments may be populated (trunk) segments if they are made of
        coaxial cable. A populated segment is one which has one or more nodes
        attached to it . In Figure 4, the 5-4-3 rule is adhered to. The furthest
        two nodes on the network have 4 segments and 3 repeaters/concentrators
        between them.
        This rule does not apply to other network protocols or Ethernet networks
    where all fiber optic cabling or a combination of a fiber backbone with UTP
    cabling is used. If there is a combination of fiber optic backbone and UTP
    cabling, the rule is simply translated to 7-6-5 rule.
http://www.teach-ict.com/as_a2/topics/networks/pages/chap5.htm