[Wolves] Bluetooth Dongle

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 00:43:43 GMT 2008

--- Kris Douglas <webbox.uk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Dave Morley
> <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 16:28 +0000, Kris Douglas
> wrote:
> >  > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Dave Morley
> <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > > On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 16:12 +0000, Broadfield
> Robert wrote:
> >  > >  > I bought a mobile phone about a month ago
> (Samsung U600) which has
> >  > >  > bluetooth.  Thought it's about time I
> loaded some music on it.
> >  > >  > However, I need to buy a Bluetooth USB
> dongle.  My laptop currently
> >  > >  > has ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) installed.  I
> spotted a Belkin 10 Meter range
> >  > >  > dongle at Argos for £12.99 (was £15.99 in
> the previous catalogue).
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > Any idea if this one will work?
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > Rob
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  Most usb bluetooth dongles just work.  How
> ever you will need to install
> >  > >  gnome-vfs-obexftp to actually use the
> bluetooth system.
> >  > >  --
> >  > >  Seek That Thy Might Know
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  >
> >  > Never had the install thing problem, seemed to
> just work for me. I use
> >  > a Nikimi.. works well.. or is it mikomi? i
> can't remember.. but it's
> >  > something like that, and it works a treat.
> >  >
> >  Kris it's more that the gnome-vfs-obexftp makes
> the bluetooth applet do
> >  useful things like connect to your phone rather
> than throw up a random
> >  error message.  In Ubuntu at any rate.
> >  --
> >

> > Seek That Thy Might Know

> Ah ok
>
> --
> Kris Douglas
>       Softdel Limited Hosting Services
>       Web: www.softdel.net
>       Mail: kris at softdel.net

Guys please can you get in the habit of removing all
of the email signature/footer crap when quoting and
leave a blank line before starting your comments? I've
left them in here to demonstrate the point, it makes
it the thread hard work to read and I keep missing
bits because there aren't blank lines between quotes
and comments. You were asked before only a few weeks
ago.

Back on topic, I forgot to mention that I have a
Belkin F8T003 ver. 2 bluetooth dongle which works, so
searching google for your dongle's model and the words
ubuntu or linux will give you an answer quite quickly
as to whether it us supported or not. I forget what I
did to make it work beyond installing
gnome-vfs-obexftp. I have sent files in both
directions, sending to your phone requires little or
no setup apart from installing that package but
sending to your laptop might take some configuration,
I can't remember what I did to be honest. This is
something that OS X makes painfully easy and I've been
waiting for Gnome to get to the same level for around
3 years and it looks like we're finally starting to
head that way at last (with what is in the newest
versions of Gnome which will appear in the next Ubuntu
release), but it's not quite finished yet.

Ad - narky :)

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/