[Wolves] OT Open Source CRM Package

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Thu May 1 12:42:06 BST 2008

2008/4/30 Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>:

> What would you say are the features of a CRM Peter? Some of my colleagues
> recently looked at a commercial CRM product and I couldn't see what it did.
> It seemed to be yet another 'framework' into which you plugged applications.
> If you already have an OS/Desktop and an 'integrated email/Calendar/ToDo
> list then why do you need this? I know they're very fashionable but then so
> are hand-held video players and I don't see the point of those either.
>
> And: "yes" of course they bought it and "no" they don't use it. I expect
> they say it's "IT's fault" because 'they' don't have time to make it work
> like the salesman said it would. That is basically because he said it would
> do anything if someone "just wrote a simple program to plug in".

CRM's are not only my favourite subject but probably the one area I
can discuss from a sound knowledge base.

Microsoft do their own flavour of CRM now from a Company/Sales point
of view it's OK sort of you can integrate your email, contacts and
limited notes etc. The problem is MS as usual go for 'Over Kill'
rather than have an 'All in one location' application they pull bits
from each other I.e. Outlook.

We did set it up here but to be fair it dragged our server and network
down so it was a swift case of "Off with his head".

You raised the point of 'integrated email/Calendar/ToDo list' and yes
that's true but its the Poor man's method a bit like the old days of
writing a quotation on the back of a fag packet. plus of course you
are going to have to share the 'integrated email/Calendar/ToDo list'
with your colleagues some of whom you might not want looking at those
mails from fistgirls.com

You might also not want your pretend best mate sat next to you knowing
you are going to see a prospect who you know well but who is in his
catchment area.

I'd say there are 4 must have points;

Contact Details:
This goes without saying really they need to be good, accurate and complete.

Notes for each contact
These should be filled in with every phone call, conversation or
interaction anyone has with that individual (You might get knocked
down by a bus so someone has to pick up the baton and run with it)

Email:
While you can create three zillion folders, set up filters and handle
all your mail within say Kmail its more efficient to have those within
the contact details "Hi Andy emailed me and said he can do it for
50p!!" "I can see the mail here let me have a read" If its a good
system the mail, notes and maybe sales will all be in one 'Pane' under
the contact details so you're looking at and using one resource rather
than moving around two or three apps.

Document Production:
You need to be able to produce Quotes, Letters, Brochures and even
Invoices from the contact details this of course can be done by
creating document templates and mapping fields within you're database
to the relevant section of your Quote ect.

I could go on and on (You have you bald headed fat bas....)

Out of interest what was the product you're people purchased?

Would they pay me to implement it properly?

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release
System packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a
snapshot to the stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a
fresh install the command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.