[Wolves] new ubuntu

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 21:43:46 UTC 2008

dick_turpin wrote:
> Dave Morley wrote:
>
>> Although not available from live install there is a simple install of an
>> encrypted folder.  This is great for keeping all your private stuff for
>> transfer across networks etc.  Also it ties it's password into your
>> login so it is available the minute you start your session.
>>

> Hm not sure thats a good idea although the concept is cool. I'm always
> wary of encrypted folders and file systems I've heard grown men cry when
> they've locked themselves out. Tying the pw to your login sounds a bit
> defeatist my advice is use totally different pw'ds for everything if one
> is compromised the rest are potentially safe, with the stated method if
> the moron sat next to you gets your login pw they also have access to
> your encrypted folder..
There's no reliable cure for stupidity though. Unencrypted backups with
good physical security are good insurance.

I can tell you that when your laptop goes walkies, you realise that you
would feel a lot safer if you private data had been enrypted. I was very
grateful for having 'accidentally' left the Windows XP 'recover to
factory settings from hard disk' option available when I installed
Ubuntu so that the nice man in the stripy jumper had an easy way to
delete my data with his second guess.